Thanks to green banana flour these vegan lemon poppy seed muffins are not only scrumptious but also gluten-free, nutritious, and great for your digestion!
How To Make Vegan Gluten Free Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Vegan gluten free lemon poppy seed muffins are easy to make but do require quite a few ingredients. They key ingredients are a gluten-free flour, a flax egg, plant-based milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, and poppy seeds.
For this gluten-free muffin recipe we will be using a mixture of oat flour and green banana flour. I have not tried this lemon poppy seed muffin recipe with a different gluten-free flour. If you do and it turns out successful let us know in the comments!
If you try this recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below!
Second, to make this recipe vegan we will swap eggs and milk for a flax egg and plant based milk (I used almond). To make a flax egg you take 1 tbsp of ground flax seeds and mix it with 2 tbsp of room temperature water. Let is sit for 5 minutes and viola!
Lastly, you can’t make lemon poppyseed muffins without adding lemon zest, lemon juice, and poppy seeds! A quick tip: zest your lemon before juicing it. If you juice the lemon first it will be too hard to zest the skin and you will have to use another lemon.
How To Bake With Green Banana Flour
Green banana flour is made from un-ripe green bananas. It has a mild, earthy flavour and is great for using in baked good recipes. Green banana flour is also great for maintaining healthy digestion.
To bake with green banana flour as a substitute for all-purpose or plain flour you use 3/4 cup of banana flour per 1 cup regular flour. This is because banana flour is more dense.
I also recommend sifting the green banana when making these green banana flour muffins. Sifting the flour will make it lighter and easier to combine with the other ingredients.
Other Ways To Make This Recipe
No green banana flour on hand? Substitute it with oat flour.
Not gluten free? Use all-purpose flour instead. Just substitute the oat and banana flour for 1 cup plain flour.
More Recipes You Might Like
Vegan Gluten Free Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- ½ cup green banana flour sifted
- ½ cup plant based milk
- ¼ cup oat flour sifted
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 flax egg 1 tbsp ground flax, 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- ½ tbsp lemon zest
- ½ tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp poppy seeds
- ⅓ cup icing sugar
- In a medium bowl, combine the milk and lemon juice. Let sit for 5 minutes
- Make the flax egg, and also let sit for 5 minutes.
- Mix the banana flour, oat flour, poppy seeds, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Next add the vanilla and coconut oil to your medium bowl of wet ingredients.
- Add the flax egg and wet ingredients to the large bowl of dry ingredients. Don't over mix.
- Let the batter sit for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 ° F
- Line a muffin tray with baking cups
- Transfer your batter into the baking cups.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes
- Drizzle your icing on top, and enjoy!
- Best enjoyed fresh out of the oven/same day
If you tried this recipe make sure to leave a comment + rating below! I would love to hear your thoughts!
And tag @christa.maria on Instagram and use the hashtag #DishingUpPlants!