This recipe is in collaboration with my friends The Very Good Butchers. If you havent heard of them before, they create delicious plant-based meats butchered from beans. They are based in British Columbia, but ship across Canada and the United States.
This vegan meat lasagna tastes like the real deal and will turn omnivores heads when you tell them it’s plant-based! If you’re interested in giving it a go, the recipe is below!
Makes an 8×8 inch lasagna
- One package The Very Good Burger (4 burgers)
- 1/2 Small Onion
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- Tomato Sauce
- Lasagna Noodles
- Vegan Cheese
- Basil to Garnish
1. First sauté your onion and garlic in a medium sized frying pan until they become slightly translucent. Rip your Very Good Burgers and add it into the pan. Fry until it becomes slightly brown, approximately 5-7 minutes.
2. Next add the tomato sauce of your choice to the meat. Continue to let that cook, stirring occasionally. This should take approximately 20-25 minutes.
3. In the meantime, cook your lasagna noodles according to the instructions on the box. It’s okay if the noodles aren’t cooked all the way because they will cook more later in the oven.
4. Drain your pasta, and keep the noodles in a bowl of cold water. This ensures the noodles don’t stick together, and it makes handling the pasta easier (not hot).
5. Now that everything is cooked you can begin layering your lasagna. Start by putting a thin layer of tomato sauce on the bottom of your tray (so the lasagna doesn’t burn). Then layer your lasagna however you like, but do not but any meat on the top layer. The top layer should be noodle, then sauce, and lastly cheese. (You should use up all the meat).
6. Cook your lasagna in the oven for about 25 minutes, at 350 degrees. Once cooked, let cool before cutting into it.