It is so easy to veganize any meal nowadays that I rarely miss a non-vegan food item. However, one thing I do miss is being able to order a fast food chicken burger. This was my go-to order before I went vegan (as I didn’t care for beef burgers) so today, I decided to veganize it!
I did some research (which involved going to KFC’s Wikipedia page and analyzing their chicken burger spices) and figured out what seasoning would make a vegan fried chicken burger taste as realistic as possible.
And upon my first attempt at cooking this KFC style vegan fried chicken burger I was SHOCKED!
This recipe turned out to not only taste, but also smell, exactly like fried chicken! It also is not hard to make nor takes up a lot of time (besides waiting for the tofu to marinate).
If you’re vegan and miss fast food fried chicken, or just a curious carnivore, I know you will die over this recipe and how realistic is tastes!
VEGAN FRIED CHICKEN RECIPE
• Firm or Extra Firm Tofu (one block)
• Vegetable Oil (for frying)
• Veggie Broth (1 cup )
• Low Sodium Soy Sauce (1/4 cup)
• Non-Dairy Milk (1 cup)
• Flour (1/4 cup)
• Cornstarch (1/4 cup)
• Bread Crumbs (1 cup)
• Nutritional Yeast (1 tbsp)
• Onion Powder (1/2 tsp)
• Garlic Powder (1/2 tsp)
• Paprika (1/2 tsp)
• Cumin (1/4 tsp)
• Thyme (1/4 tsp)
• Basil (1/4 tsp)
• Black Pepper (1/4 tsp)
• Chicken Spice * (1/2 tsp)
1. First you will need to press and cut your tofu. I recommend pressing your tofu for roughly 30 minutes. After all the moisture is out, you want to cut your tofu into the size of 4 chicken patties. (You can totally cut the tofu in any way you like, however this is how I did it).
I began by cutting the block of tofu in half by it’s width.
Then cut it again into two pieces, one should be larger than the other.
2. Now that your tofu is cut you are going to marinate it. The marinade consists of the 1 cup of veggie broth and 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce.
Let the tofu marinate for 30 minutes and turn over after 15 minutes.
3. In the meantime, you can prepare the batter and breading.
To create the batter combine the 1 cup non-dairy milk (I used almond), 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup cornstarch. Whisk it all together to get any clumps.
To make the breading combine the 1 cup of bread crumbs, 1 tbsp nutritional yeast, and above listed spices.
4. Heat the vegetable oil in a deep dish frying pan.
5. Place the tofu into the batter mixture, then into the breading mixture, and repeat once more. Then place the tofu patty into the frying pan and fry on all sides until crispy brown.
6. Finally, you can plate your vegan fried chicken burger on a bun however you prefer (I prepared it with lettuce, tomatoes, and vegan mayo).
For this recipe, you can use firm or extra firm tofu for this recipe (I used extra firm because it was the only tofu available at the store however, firm tofu will work just as good).
If you do not have chicken spice on hand, or cannot find it at your local grocery store you can make this recipe without it!
You can enjoy the vegan chicken burgers by themselves, instead of on a bun – I tried doing so and it tasted delicious on its own too!
There will be some leftover tofu that you can either save for another recipe (perhaps tofu scramble the next morning?) or if there is leftover batter and breading you can make small chicken nuggets!
Save This Recipe
If you decide to try this recipe out please let me know what you think… though I already know you are going to love it 😉
Tag me in your recreations on Instagram so I can share them or leave a comment and tell me what you thought!
If you’re looking for more delicious veganized food check out my Creamy Vegan Mac N Cheese recipe! xoxo
Leave a Reply