What makes a great tofu recipe? A great-tasting marinade!
I think most people find cooking with tofu to be daunting but it is actually a lot easier than people think. Tofu takes on the flavour of whatever seasoning and spices you add to it. Therefore, tofu is super versatile and can easily be transformed into almost anything!
If you’re tofu-curious and want to start experimenting in the kitchen I have the easiest recipe for you! This Spicy Taco Bowl featuring Sunrise Soya’s Extra Firm Tofu turns tofu into the classic Mexican style taco meat with a bit of a spicy kick.
Sunrise Soya’s Extra Firm Tofu is a must for this recipe. Their tofu absorbs the flavours of the marinade perfectly, and I have been a happy Sunrise Soya customer for years as their products are always of great quality and texture.
If you’re ready to add this protein rich food into your lifestyle, keep on reading and let’s get cooking!
- 1 block of Sunrise Soya Extra Firm Tofu
- 2 tbsp chili
- 1 tbsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 can tomato juice 284 ml
- olive oil, as needed
1. Pat dry your Extra Firm tofu block and crumble it into a medium size bowl. Add in all of the spices and the can of tomato juice. Combine thoroughly. Let sit for a minimum of 30 minutes. This marinade can also sit overnight. (I have tried both ways, and both come out great).
2. Once the tofu is done marinading transfer it into a frying pan and begin to cook the tofu on medium heat. Stir only occasionally. Add olive oil to the pan as needed to stop the tofu from sticking and to help it crisp up. The tofu should take about 30 minutes to cook.
3. In the meantime, cook your choice of rice and prepare your veggies. To my taco bowl I added chopped cherry tomatoes, corn (fried slightly), romaine lettuce, avocado, and white rice. Garnished with parsley.
4. Lastly, finish off by making a simple vegan sour cream. Combine all of the sour cream ingredients into a high speed blender. Blend until smooth.
Leave a Reply