These cookies taste like the classic vegan chocolate chip cookies but they include a secret superfood ingredient: maca powder! These maca cookies are soft, chewy, sweet, and the perfect indulgent sweet that both vegan and non-vegans love!
So What is Maca?
Maca is a cruciferous vegetable found in the same family as cabbage and broccoli. It grows in the mountains of Peru and Peruvians have used maca for many years, for a variety of reasons – such as increasing energy and libido.
Maca powder can easily be added into desserts, oatmeal, smoothies, and lattes (to name a few examples). It has a slight earthy flavour but when added into recipes you can’t taste it; therefore, you can just enjoy it’s amazing health benefits!
- Increases stamina and energy levels
- Improves libido and sexual function
- Alleviates PMS symptoms for women
- Improves memory and concentration
- Helps you meet your daily dose of vitamins B, C, and E
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on the blog please let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below!
Can You Bake With Maca Powder?
Yes, you can! Maca is great to add into sweets and desserts – like these maca cookies! – because the sweeteners will hide it’s earthy taste.
And if you look back to how Peruvians traditionally used maca, they always cooked it before consuming it.
How To Make Chocolate Chip Cookies From Scratch
Vegan chocolate chip cookies are super easy to make, and you probably already have all of the ingredients in your pantry!
Ingredients You Will Need
Sugar: To give our cookies that sweet flavour! For these maca cookies we combine brown and coconut sugar
All-Purpose Flour: I tested this recipe out with a few different types of flour and I found all-purpose always came out with the best tasting cookies. (If you are gluten-free and successfully make this recipe with a gluten-free alternative let us know what you used in the comments!)
Non-Dairy Milk: For these maca cookies I used macadamia nut milk, but you can use whatever you prefer.
Vegan Margarine: I haven’t tried making this recipe with stick butter, instead I like to use good ol’ handy dandy margarine
Baking Soda: This will help the cookies puff up and rise in the oven
Vanilla: I used pure vanilla extract for an added bonus of flavour
Salt: Even sweet recipes like vegan chocolate chip cookies need a little dash of savoury!
Tips For Making This Recipe Perfectly
- If you want to make chewy chocolate chip cookies (a.k.a get that crispy outside layer and ooey gooey chewy inside) you want to just slightly undercook the cookies
- Do not mix all the ingredients together at once. There is a method to the madness haha!
- Bake your cookies on the middle rack. This allows for the most even baking.
- Refrigerate your maca cookie dough in the fridge for 30 minutes. This will help your cookies to become chewy, and in the oven the dough will expand more slowly. If you don’t chill the cookie dough your cookies are more prone to come out flat
More Dessert Recipes You Might Like
Maca Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Combine the butter and sugar in a bowl
- Mix in the milk and vanilla
- Next add the maca powder, salt, baking soda, and flour
- Fold in the chocolate chips
- Refrigerate the cookie dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 ° F
- Scoop the cookie dough into balls using an ice cream scooper. Place the balls on a baking tray lined with parchment paper
- Bake for 11-12 minutes
- Remove and let cool for approximately 10 minutes. Enjoy!
If you tried this recipe make sure to leave a comment/rating below! I would love to hear your thoughts!
And tag @christa.maria on Instagram!