If you’re craving some childhood nostalgia this Vegan Pop Tarts recipe is for you!
These pop tarts are as flavourful as store bought pop tarts but are much healthier. So you can enjoy them with none of the guilt!
A Healthy Alternative to Pop Tarts?
Traditional store bought pop tarts are filled with sugar, animal-fat, and contain no nutritious benefits for your body.
These vegan pop tarts are not necessarily a healthy recipe but they are made using more wholesome plant-based ingredients than the former.
In general I think we can all agree pop tarts are an indulgent sweet dessert but you don’t have to reach for the sugar loaded store bought kind. These vegan strawberry açai pop tarts are delicious and don’t compromise flavour for nutrients.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Don’t let the number of steps or ingredients in this recipe scare you. The recipe is easier to make than you think, and I am 110% positive that after making them you will be so glad you did.
The two key ingredients in this recipe are strawberries and açai powder.
The strawberries are key for the filling but if you don’t have strawberries on hand feel free to use blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries (or a combination of berries).
The second key ingredient is açai powder and it’s crucial for the frosting. Artificial food colouring is well-known for colouring frosting however these dyes have major health complications. (Food dyes link to cancer, allergies, ADHD, and more). Açai powder on the other hand offers amazing health benefits and is all natural.
What is Açai?
Açai is a round berry that comes from açai palm trees. These berries are nutrient-dense and have very little sugar.
Açai is also known as a superfood because of all it’s amazing health benefits:
- Boost energy levels
- Improve digestive functions
- Stronger immune system
- Improved circulation
- Better sleep patterns
- Enhance visual clarity
- Younger-looking skin
I love Raw Nutritional’s Açai Powder as their powder contains the highest amount of antioxidants when compared to competitors. As well their açai is organic, all natural, and vegan. You can use code CHRISTA for 20% off.
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on the blog please let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below!
More Recipes You Might Like
Easy Vegan Strawberry Pop Tarts with a Berry Açai Filling
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup vegan butter
- ½ cup ice water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Raw Nutritional Açai Powder
- 2 cups ripe strawberries chopped
- ½ cup organic sugar
- 3 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Raw Nutritional Açai Powder
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp non-dairy milk
- In a bowl combine the salt and flour together. Slowly incorporate the butter (small pieces at a time). Using a pastry cutter combine together (the mixture should look crumbly)
- Next slowly add the ice water to the crumbly mixture until it forms a ball.
- Place the dough ball in saran wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling it's a good time to prepare the filling and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- After 30 minutes, divide the dough into 4 quarters and work with one quarter at a time
- Roll the dough out to approximately ⅛ inch
- Use a knife or pastry cutter wheel and cut out 4 rectangles 3×5 inches (you can use an index card for reference). From each quarter dough you should make 4 rectangles, enough for two pop tarts.
- Lay flat your cutout pastry rectangles and spoon the filling onto two of them. Only in the middle of your pastry shape, leaving the sides empty.
- Place the remaining two cutouts on top. Use a fork to crimp the edges together to keep the filling inside when baking.
- Bake at 350°F for approximately 20 minutes or until slightly brown underneath. Let fully cool before adding the icing.
- Add the strawberries, açai powder, and sugar together in a pot, mash, and begin to cook on the stove. You will notice it will become quite runny.
- Add the cornstarch to thicken it up (adding a tsp at a time and whisk thoroughly). Wait until it comes to a boil and check the thickness before adding more cornstarch (remember to whisk every time more cornstarch is added).
- Let cool completely before adding into each pop tart
- Mix together the açai powder, powdered sugar, and non-dairy milk until smooth. If the mixture is too thick add more milk, 1 tsp at a time.
- Make sure the butter is chilled/has been in the fridge and not sitting out
- The water is very cold. I put mine in the freezer prior to baking.
- Flour can also be put in fridge for 20 minutes (but not mandatory)
- Feel free to substitute the organic sugar for a sugar-free alternative or date sugar or coconut sugar
Leave a Reply