This Spicy Hummus Pasta recipe is the quick and tasty 15-minute weeknight dinner recipe you’ve been looking for! It’s wholesome, made from simple ingredients, and of course 100% vegan.
This Spicy Hummus Pasta recipe can be made with a variety of add-ins and substitutions, as well you can easily make it gluten-free or grain-free with your pasta of choice.
Ingredients You Will Need:
To make this vegan spicy hummus pasta recipe you only need 11 ingredients!
It’s important for me to use healthy, wholesome, and easy ingredients in all of my recipes. So all of these ingredients can easily be found at any grocery store, and I’m sure you already have most in your home!
This recipe is also super versatile so go at it with different vegetables or feel free to use a different pasta noodle or hummus flavour.
The Steps To Make Spicy Hummus Pasta:
Just like how there are minimal ingredients to this recipe, there are also minimal steps.
1. Boil and cook the pasta noodles, reserving some pasta water at the end
2. Chop the onion and mince the garlic
3. Sauté the onion in a frying pan until it becomes translucent
4. Add the minced garlic & spices. Fry for a couple more minutes
5. Add the hummus and reserved pasta water. Keep adding water until it’s your desired creaminess
6. Lastly, add in your cooked pasta noodles, spinach, and tomatoes. Enjoy!
What Hummus Should You Use?
For this recipe I used spicy hummus since SPICE is what I am going for! However, you can use whatever hummus you like or have on hand such as plain hummus or roasted red pepper hummus. Feel free to also try this recipe with homemade hummus.
I used President Choice’s Spicy Hummus. One container is the perfect amount of hummus for this recipe (1 cup or about 227 grams).
Tips to Make This Recipe Perfect
Some tips to make this 15-Minute Spicy Hummus Pasta recipe *chef’s kiss* perfect!
- Use YOUR favourite hummus and pasta noodle!
- DON’T FORGET to reserve some pasta water. This helps make our hummus sauce nice and creamy
- For an extra level of flavour, slightly fry the cherry tomatoes
- Use store-bought already minced garlic to save on time
Optional Add-In’s & Substitution Ideas
The beautiful thing about this recipe is how versatile it is. You can make it your own depending on your palette and what you have on hand. Here’s some recommendations:
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Cashew sour cream, to top
- Pesto, to top
More Meal Inspiration:
- Buffalo Cauliflower Pizza
- Sesame Maple Tofu Noodles
- Spicy Tofu Taco Bowl
- Nacho Pasta Chips
- 20-Minute GF Lentil Meatballs
- Vegan Pumpkin Fettuccine
15-Minute Spicy Vegan Hummus Pasta
- 1 ½ cup penne
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 1 cup hummus
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- ¼ – ½ cup reserved pasta water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ medium-to-large onion
- 3 tsp garlic minced
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- Cook pasta according to the instructions on the box. Reserve ¼-½ of the pasta water when draining
- In a frying pan, heat the olive oil and sauté the onion until it becomes slightly translucent
- Next add the minced garlic, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and paprika to taste
- Add the hummus and reserved pasta water. Keep adding pasta water until you have your desired creamy consistency
- Finally add the cooked pasta, fresh spinach, and chopped cherry tomatoes. Stir and combine
- I recommenced starting with ⅛ of the spices (especially the red pepper flakes) and then add more depending on your taste/preference
If you try this recipe make sure to leave a commen/rating below, and tag me on Instagram at @christa.maria with the hashtag #DishingUpPlants!